We are hiring in 2021!
The Rideau Roundtable has a summer position available through Canada Summer Jobs, with a start date of June 21 or June 28. Candidates must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start date and legally entitled to work in Ontario. To apply, please send resume and cover letter by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application cut-off date : June 25, 5:00 pm.
First position: Voyageur Tour Guide :
We are seeking an avid and strong paddler to be trained and certified to lead in our Voyageur Canoe Tours. There will be paid training during the first week to gain certification as a Paddle Canada Intermediate Big Canoe Leader. This guide is responsible for delivering interpretive materials and for the safety of the participants on tour. The guide must carry out our COVID-19 safety guidelines and procedure throughout the tour. This position is for 14 or 13 weeks (depending on hiring date) with at least 32 hours per week at a salaray of $15 per hour.
Voyageur Canoe Tour Guide - Job Description
Title: Voyageur Canoe Tour Guide Position
Hourly wage: $15/hour
Hours per week: 32 or more (depending upon start date)
Job duration: 14 or 13 weeks, depending on start date June 21 or June 28
Application Cut-off Date: June 7 at 5:00pm
We are seeking a guide who has good paddling skills, and has experience or education in guiding trips on the water. This guide will lead big canoe tours in the Rideau Roundtable’s voyageur canoes. They are responsible for delivering interpretive materials and for the safety of the participants on tour. The guide must carry out our COVID-19 safety guidelines and procedure throughout the tours.
Tasks and Responsibilities
1. Conduct tours in a safe and socially-distanced manner in accordance with the safety guidelines outlined in our safety plan.
2. Take necessary safety precautions (hand sanitization, mask-wearing, disinfection of canoes and gear etc.) and maintain social distancing while on tour to protect yourself, your fellow guides, and tour participants.
3. Act as an interpreter and/or voyageur canoe leader and provide a safe, informative and enjoyable experience in a voyageur canoe.
4. Become familiar with the interpretive messages and information that we use while conducting voyageur canoe tours. 5. Represent the Rideau Roundtable and its mission to preserve and promote sustainable management of the natural and cultural heritage of the Rideau River.
6. Assist in the planning and promotion of various events and programs of the Rideau Roundtable.
7. Become familiar with the programs of organizations in the area, e.g. Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Scouts and Girl Guides, Merrywood Camp, private schools and network with the key people to promote the program with these groups.
8. Prepare administrative and maintenance work related to the tours.
9. Create and post social media content regarding our voyageur canoe program.
1. Standard First Aid and CPR-C
2. Strong Paddler
3. Must be certified in the Paddle Canada’s Big Canoe Intermediate Leaders training course (provided in the first weeks of the job) and be versatile in the safe use of voyageur canoes and safety & paddling techniques.
4. Must be comfortable and proficient in the delivery of cultural and natural interpretation on tour
5. Has the ability to work in all weather conditions
6. Has knowledge of local flora and fauna of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems
7. Knowledge of cultural heritage of the Rideau River, and Voyageur history is an asset 8. Knowledge in interpretive program delivery and production an asset.